So the adventures have started and it's only a couple days into the trip.
I decided to not spend money on a night train and so I took a regular train (or actually a whole lot of them) and stay in Lyon last night. With alot of help from an intensly German girl at the ticket counter, I went from Franfurt to Mannheim (I looked for steamrollers, but didn't see any)and then from there I hopped another train to Offenburg(that might be wrong wrong, I have it written down some where) then another train to Strasbourg. All of these were about 1/2 to one hour. At Strasbourg I worked out going to Lyon where I stayed for the night. With the help of the Lonely Planet guide that I got from my Mom (which is saving my butt left and right) I found a room at a hostel looking over old Lyon.
After dropping off my bag that weighs a half ton, I wandered around Old (aka Vieux) Lyon for a few hours. It's amazing. It is straight out of a movie with cobblestone streets, tight alleys, and red tile roofs crowded around a big cathedral. At about 1:30am a got back to the hostel which is up a very steep hill. I slept until 5:30 and couldnt get back to sleep, either from jetlag or the guy snoring who got in at 5:25. I was getting up at six anyways to catch an early train.
I woke up early and had cereal and bread for breakfast, which was amazing! I hadnt eaten hardly at all before that cause I'd been travelling and so it hit the spot. I had to get to the station for a 7:30 train to Marseille but when I got to the metro station I had only paper money and the ticket machine only accepts coins. And guess what, NO ONE is open is Vieux Lyon that early to make change for me. I ended up walking to the next station and on the way bought a coke to get coins. After all of this I missed my train, but was able to get on at 8:35.
This worked out since my room in Marseille wasnt ready yet so I dropped off my bag and wandered Marseille until 6:30, when I went back to the hostel and got on the internet. The only problem here is that it happens to be pentecost and everywhere is closed except for the markets in the Arab neighborhoods and the businesses around the Vieux Port. There are tons of French people though because it's a holiday and they're all on vacation just like me.
Tomorrow I go to Monaco and the then Nice for the two nights, then back to Marseille.
That's the adventure so far.
By the way, there are a ton of freaking Nuclear power plants here. Our train was right across the river from one, and I've seen at least three others.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you're having a great time so far with plenty of adventures already. I thought that the title of this post was a Dr. Seuss reference, but then I realized that the book is called Oh, the Places You'll Go! Anyway, I can't wait to see some pictures..... I envy you while I sit in my little cubicle office thing
ReplyDeleteSo you were alternating between Germany and France? What does "intensly German" mean? If I remember correctly France gets 70% of its energy from Nuclear power. Now if we could just get them to be accepted over here!
ReplyDeleteI didn't get this joke the first time: "Mannheim (I looked for steamrollers, but didn't see any)"
Nate - It's close enough to be a reference.