Sorry about my last post. I had two minutes before my time ran up and realized that I had completely skipped a day in Paris. I pressed send on that post just as it closed me out, so Im kinda surprised it made it. To elongate the story, we went to the picasso museum in the morning and walked around. Sadly they didnt have as much from the blue period which is my favorite of his, but it was still really cool. We then went down to the Seine and sat and watched people.
Anyways, on to the journey to Venice.
I took the night train, which was interesting. Picture six guys stuffed into a tiny little room and me trying not to make noise unsuccesfully. For those who know how overly paranoid I am of those things, it was ma bit difficult. SO I got up and went to the dining car to get more sleepy. As Im sitting there, two guys walk in and sit at a table, only to be surrounded by a bunch of police and train worker people. At first I was paniking cause they first asked for his passport and I didnt have mine cause the train official took it (which is standard for international trains at night). It turns out they were just there for him and his friend, who looked like straight mafioso types, so id like to think I witnessed a movie like mafia bust on the way to italy.
After watching this for a bit I went back to my room and fell asleep where I had the WEIRDEST dreams all night because of the motion of the train. The one i remember best involved driving a house (yes a full sized house) around the streets of kaysville until airraid sirens went off and everyone was running away from the mountains so i parked the house and started off for Mom and Dads house. This is where i woke up and realized we had stopped at a station, hence why i parked the house in my dream.
So I get to Venice I go to my hotel for the next two nights, where it turns out they had made a mistake and didnt have a dorm style bed open for me, so instead they stuck me in my own room with a big two person bed for myself. Awesome!
After dropping off my bag I set out for St.Marks square. Luckily they have signs cause there are no straight roads to anywhere here. The best you can do is pick the general direction and hope you find a landmark thats actually on a map to orient yourself. Once I got there I took some pictures and got in line for ST Marks basilica. I wasnt 100% sure i was in the right line, cause there were lots of lines, so I asked the two girls in front of me to make sure. We get talking and it turnsout they are with a school group from BYU. What are the odds?! I ended up kicking with there group for awhile, and headed over to Murano, the island where they make the famous glass. I then realized Id attached to myself to girls on an island where everyone sells jewelry. Lots and lots of shopping. Oh well. They went to the lace island, and i counted myself out of that one. I went back to my room.
I got some italian food at a cafe outside my building, which was pretty good, but everyone is right that they dont use much spices. I couldnt help but think that it could use alot fo salt and garlic, then I though to myself... wow, I am american...
After eating I sat watching people in the square, which turns out to be the night spot for the area so there were tons of people and street performers. Pretty cool.
This morning I got a piece of pizza for lunch, since that and gilatto are the only cheap things you can buy on the street here. And yes, Ive had alot of gilatto. I then made my way to a little shop that was reccomended by my guide book, which turns out is out of business. I did find a used book shop and bought Crime and Punishment since I read my other book. I went to st marks square and read and watched people.
I was kind of tired and ended up taking anap for two hours which felt wonderful. Once awake I went out to find a cybercafe I wrote here.
Tomorrow afternoon I have a train ticket for Berlin and will arrive the next morning, which means more weird dreams. And yes I cut out Cinque Terra. Ive found city hopping everyday is exhausting so i opted for two days in Venice rather than one day in each.
Thats it so far, under a week to go now.
Ciao.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment