Monday, June 8, 2009

Wurst is the Best!

So I just realized how long its been since i posted. Ive got a lot of Germany to cover...
The next day in Berlin we went and got Doner kebabs (for 2.50euro this time) at this great place for lunch (we had breakfast in the room. mmmm cheap.) We hopped on the train to go back to the reichstag when a train official started asking for tickets...yeah, um, we hadnt bought tickets yet. None of the trains have turnstiles, its just the honor system i guess, and i totally forgot about the ticket part. So boom goes the dynamite and we both have to get off the train and pay a 40euro fine...CRAP! So now flustered and feeling poor we went and wandered for awhile, cause we didnt want to get back on the train just yet.
Then we decided we were cold so we wanted to find something inside to do, so we found a museum about the gestapo and the secret police. After some confusing train rides (with a ticket this time) precipitated by missing our stop to transfer to another line and then discovering that the direction going back the other way was under construction, we finally found it. There was a school group that looked thoroughly bored, listening to their monotone teacher, and they had looks on their faces of "Why would you ever come here voluntarily?"
Then we discovered something problematic. Everything was in german and the english guide book only told what the rooms were back when it was the office for the secret police, so figuring out the displays was purely on our own intuition. Coolest room in the place was a section on surveillance equipment. It was total spy stuff like from James Bond from the 60's and 70's. Alot of the stuff we just had to assume what it was for since we couldnt read the discription.
There was one thing that a resistance person made that looked like a big metal key with a spring and an electrical plug attached. I assumed it was meant to shock the person on the other end when they put their key in the other side, but I'm not sure.
Anyways, we wandered through that until they kicked us out. We went back to the hotel room and I took a two hour nap. It was lovely. We wanted to go dancing that night so the sleep was very much necessary since Ive turned into a baby sleep-wise. After waking up we found a place to go, got ready and headed out for dancing. The club was pretty cool. They played a mix of 80's and indierock dance music. Not bad. We danced and watched drunk germans singing in the court yard until 3:30am when we left.
And I swear Berliners never sleep (the people not the donuts). On the walk home we walked by the same doner kebab restaurant from earlier in the day. When we ate at lunch time there were three or four other people. Now at almost 4am the place is packed! Every cheap restaurant were full of drunk people eating and every corner were people getting drunk so they could eat. Hilarious.
Kristina had an early flight in the morning, so going to bed at a little past 4am, we had to wake up at 5:30am. That was fun. We hurriedly packed and i said goodbye to Kristina for the trip, since she has a conference to go to or something.
I took the train to Frankfurt and was in the new city by noon. I dropped off my bag at the hostel and wandered for a while and read until I could check in at 2pm. I got back, got my room and went out on the town.
It turns out there is some street festival going on for the week with food and music. I watched a band and then found on this tourist map that there was an english language theater (no subtitles) so I got a ticket for Terminator, and ran back to the festival and bought a currywurst, which was FANTASTIC. They covered it in curry ketchup, which i didnt know existed, but I now love the stuff. Its basically the unity of the two best things to go on food.
Anyways, I ate and ran back to the movie, watched it with some english guy who i ran into in line, and left, went back to the festival only to find a german blues band that sang all english songs (the next day I saw an german doo wop group that sang english, weird). Eventually I headed back to the hostel and and talked to another English guy in the lounge until I went to bed.
The next day I decided to go to Mainz and take a boat up the rhine. I get to the city and wander through to the port, when it begins pouring rain. I get to the dock I find that the last boat already left. Im soaked to the bone and have nothing to do so I went back to the train station and went back to frankfurt.
The rain lightened up to I went out again, only to find another festival. It was a spanish cultural festival. They had food (i had paprika wurst.mmmm) and listened to bands and watched some drunk germans dancing around in front of the stage. I went back to the other festival and saw the doowop group. I then walked to a really cool park here. Sat and read, then went back to the hostel where I talked to the same English guy and argued about comedy with him and a canadian guy. The english guy thought british comedy was superior, i thought it was all funy, and neither of us new anything about canadian comedy (except strange brew) which I could tell frustrated the canadian, but i thought it was hilarious.
We talked for a long time and I eventually went to sleep.
Im hoping to try the boat on the rhine again today. We'll see.


But this is sadly MY LAST FULL DAY IN EUROPE!!!
I fly out early tomorrow morning and I'll be back with ya by evening.
So this is probably my last post from europe. Im going to be relating other stories as i remember them and post pictures i took with Daniel's camera that he let me lend for the trip (Dan, you are a saint)
Tchuss!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Love your posts. If you go past Rudesheim on the Rhine, it is where the Gietz's on my mom's side are from. They lived there for 300 yrs or so.
    It is a great town. :o) MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the Canadian movie Trailer Park Boys based on the TV series, but it wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete