On Wednesday there was a "spectacle" [show/presentation] of talents of students at the cafe down on the Loire (THE happening place in town) and let me tell you what: I felt like a lazy jerk. Luckily all the other students not performing did too. Turns out we have world class opera singers, saxophonists, violinists, poets... But I've gone without blinking for over a half an hour once (true story) and Ive never met another person who could do that. And it was a good night anyways. I talked to this girl from Italy and a guy from Australia about politics and various things, which was tough because the girl from Italy spoke almost no English and her French was so-so and the Australian's french was... not so great, but it was very enjoyable.
As far as my french goes, somedays I feel awesome, especially when Im hanging out around town with friends from lower class levels, and other days I feel like Im getting worse. But Ive talked with a number of ppl who feel the same thing (the higher the level the more prevalent for some reason). The somewhat frustrating thing is that my French in the real world is getting better, but in the class room I swear Im getting dumber. My writing skills have definitely decreased, since I can't seem to recall little grammar rules as well (my brain feels full), and the listening comprehension tests Ive totally plateau'ed. I think its because in their tests you have to be able to pick out a single word or phrase to answer a question and Im better at getting the general sense of a comment. The new prof from the U came on Monday and said she thought I'd really improved. I also held a long conversation with three local drunks at the cafe around the corner (the guys who normally bug you, but when you need practice it's great) but in class it's not so good. My accent is quite good though, probably one of the best in my class, and Ive been told similar by various French ppl in Tours. But the whole class thing is a bit of a bummer.
The students here are awesome though, and Ive decided I love Italian accents and the sound of the language (yes and French too). There's a group of Italians here and I love hearing them talk. Also, Ive become completely habituated to having bakeries everywhere that are totally cheap, and an actually night life with people and everything. It's sadly a bit lacking in Small Lake City.
My family has been cool. Its just a woman, Nadia, and her son Paul. Nadia watches American tv at full volume all day and they seem to fight almost every night about something, but only occasionally is it anything significant. I think at least some of it is fighting over the fact that the son only likes to eat kebab and hamburgers (which are craazy popular in France now). But I actually love it. I got really lucky. I get my privacy for the most part which I completely appreciate, and the mornings are quiet, which I require for my sanity (Im not such a morning person normally), and they're both really nice. Some of my friends have much more unfortunate stories.
Anyways, less than two weeks left then I return to a life that seems strange indeed.
love,
Adam
I do miss Saturdays with movie popcorn though...
ps. blogspot is not letting me load pictures for some reason, I keep trying and it never lets me, so pics may have to wait for when I get back.
you're having a tough time speaking with a dude from Australia? Is he Aborigine?
ReplyDeleteHamburgers are about the best thing in the world. France may not bow to the U.S. flag, but they bow to the golden arches - all do. We'll conquer the world one way or another.
Sounds like a cool experience.
I think your next travel adventure should be to Australia, but only if you really study up on the language first!
the dude